Friday, August 10, 2007

What Is Truth

Something very interesting happened in my critical thinking class today. Well for those of you who don't know what critical thinking is all about, I'll give you a brief description. It is a subject where you study dead philosophers philosophies and think 'critically' about them. So now back to what happened today. Below is a conversation between a student and the lecturer.

Mr A: Alrite class, today we are going to talk about truth. What is truth? Truth is something which in reality really happened. Let's say there is a crocodile in the corridor. Is it true that there is one? If there is, how would you say that it is a true statement?

Student A: Ummm, through observation?

Mr A: Wrong. Did you really see a crocodile there? Unless there is one really there only then we can say that it is true.

Student A: Ok.....

Student B: You don't have balls Mr A!

Mr A: Aha! Is that a true statement? Did you by observation saw me walked into a hospital and requested for my balls to be surgically removed? Were you there to witness the surgeon remove my balls? Did you by memory recall any of this incident and therefore make a true statement that I don't have balls?

Student B: Ummm....

Mr A: Did you by any chance grabbed my crotch and felt that I'm in fact ball-less? Or the fact that you slept with me and saw that I am really ball-less?

Student B: Ok! Ok! No!

Mr A: Aha that's where you're wrong for I did have my balls surgically removed. It is therefore a true statement. See students, you have to truly understand what is truth to make a true statement like how a brilliant man I am did.

Student B: But Mr A, you just said that...

Mr A: Enough! End of discussion . I'm right and you're wrong. Who's the lecturer anyway?

Student B: Alrite. I'll shuddup now.

And so the class proceeds. I'm getting a headache from all the critical thinking. I'll be taking a break now.

No comments: